Myrna Larson

You asked what your options are, and I told you. If you don't like that
solution, you are free to devise your own -- or perhaps somebody else has
another idea.

Other than the earliest date being first, you can enter the data in any order,
then sort it by date. If the deposits are regular (every 2 weeks?), you could
use formulas or Edit/Fill/Series to fill in the dates and amounts for the
deposits. You can also use a formula to enter the interest to be credited at
the end of each month (each year?) if you know what the annual rate
was/is/will be.

You can also use a formula to calculate the account balance after each
transaction, given the previous balance, deposit, and interest payment.

An Excel worksheet has 65536 rows, so it should handle 40 years with more than
1500 transactions per year.

Or a layout with each year's transactions in a separate column (with Balance
Forward at the top) will also work. That would give you approximately 25 rows
per year and a maximum of 6 columns per year.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:21:02 -0700, "Brad"
wrote:

That does work - thank you. However, if the yield rate is needed at each
year-end for 40 years and deposist can be as frequent as twice a month that
mean alot of calculation area.

"Brad" wrote:

Assume that $10,000 is deposited in a savings account at the beginning of
year 1 earning 5% and that $1,000 is deposited at the beginning of each

month
into the same saving account also earning 5%. However in year two, the

bank
changes the interest rate to 3%, and in year 3 changes it 2.5%... I want

be able to generate an effective yield rate at the end of each year for

this
case. The rate function can't do it because of the non-level premium flow.
Is it true that the XIRR can't do it because I don't have a negative

balance?
If both of my statements are true - what are my options?