Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SGfla SGfla is offline

Default Drop down list help

Gord,
Thank you very much for your help! That is exactly what I needed and it
worked!
SGfla

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Did you name the listrange on the second sheet as "vendors"(no quotes) referring
to your list of items?

In the DV sheet did you enter =vendors in the source dialog?

Gord

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:18:01 -0700, SGfla
wrote:

Ok, now I have a different problem. I have created a drop down box but the
info I'm using is on the same worksheet, but I want the info for the drop
down box to be on a different page in the same worksheet. I tried using the
instructions listted:

"If you want to use another worksheet or another workbook, do one of the
following: Use a different worksheet in the same workbook Type the list on
that worksheet, and then define a name (name: A word or string of characters
that represents a cell, range of cells, formula, or constant value. Use
easy-to-understand names, such as Products, to refer to hard to understand
ranges, such as Sales!C20:C30.) for the list.
How?
Select the cell, range of cells, or nonadjacent selections (nonadjacent
selection: A selection of two or more cells or ranges that don't touch each
other. When plotting nonadjacent selections in a chart, make sure that the
combined selections form a rectangular shape.) that you want to name.
Click the Name box at the left end of the formula bar (formula bar: A bar at
the top of the Excel window that you use to enter or edit values or formulas
in cells or charts. Displays the constant value or formula stored in the
active cell.).

Type the name for the cells, for example, ValidDepts.
Press ENTER.
Select the cell where you want the drop-down list.
On the Data menu, click Validation, and then click the Settings tab.
In the Allow box, click List.
To specify the location of the list of valid entries, do one of the
following:
If the list is in the current worksheet, enter a reference to your list in
the Source box.
If the list is on a different worksheet in the same workbook or a different
workbook, enter the name that you defined for your list in the Source box.
In both cases, make sure that the reference or name is preceded with an
equal sign (=). For example, enter =ValidDepts.

Make sure that the In-cell drop-down check box is selected.
To specify whether the cell can be left blank, select or clear the Ignore
blank check box."

But after following those steps it did not put the list I had selected and
named....it only put what i named the list with an equal sign after it
(vendors=).

Can someone please tell me how to do this? I'm pulling my hair out with
this project!!!!!
Thanks!
SGfla.