Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SGfla SGfla is offline

Default Drop down list help

Thank you for the info. It helped!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If a Data Validation Dropdown you don't need a blank.

Under most conditions simply turn off the Error alert and user can type anything
into the cell.

For more info on not "most" conditions see Debra Dalgleish's site.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Invalid

That entry will not become a permanent part of the list.

For that you would need VBA.

See Debra's site for a sample workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

DV0012 - Update Validation List -- type a new value in a cell that contains data
validation, and it's automatically added to the source list, and the list is
sorted; a macro automates the list updates. DataValListAddSort.zip 11 kb

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:44:04 -0700, SGfla
wrote:

I wonder if someone can help me.....I have inserted a drop down box in my
spreadsheet and I want to have a blank line that allows the user to enter
info (info that may not be on the drop down menu).....is this possible? If
so, how do I do it?
I would appreaciate any help in this matter!
Thanks!