Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default m/yy or m/yyyy date format

The display can be however you want it, the concern is ensuring the date will
always match, if you have someone always enter the year as a 4 digit number,
as previously suggested, this can be achieved. In addition, you can use data
validation to help you. What I suggest:

Select the first cell you will expect entry on.
Go to Data--Validation.
Settings: Allow should be: CUSTOM. Formula should be: =DAY(A2)=1, where A2
is the initial cell you are setting up. This will 'force' the entry person to
have the day being entered as a 1 (which is the default if they enter in
format of m/yyyy).

In addition, you can use the Input Message tab to instruct the entry person
of the proper format for entry.
Title could be: Enter Date. Input message could be: Enter in format of m/yyyy

just my 2 cents

--
John C

"Bigfoot17" wrote:

I should add that I will be oding some searches and formula calculations on
the month/year.

"Bigfoot17" wrote:

I am having problems with some date ofrmat, date entry.
I have a column in which I want to enter stricktly the month and year (NO
day of the month).

If I enter 3/11 to me it means March 2011, but to Excel it is March 11, 2008
(or Mar-08, depending on the format). Any suggestions. I have others that
will be doing the data entry, and I do not want to train them to 'fudge' to
get the format correct.