Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lisa12 Lisa12 is offline

Default Dates-Conversion

I am getting a value error referencing column B. Any ideas why?

Thank you,

Lisa12

"vezerid" wrote:

Sorry, you want to return a currency amt. Hence you want to look into
C:C. Still an array formula:

=INDEX(C2:C10,MATCH(TRUE,YEAR(B2:B10)=A1,0))

HTH
Kostis

On Jul 1, 9:12 pm, vezerid wrote:
I think you need this *array* formula, which finds the first date in
B:B, which belongs to a given year in A1:

=INDEX(B2:B10,MATCH(TRUE,YEAR(B2:B10)=A1,0))

As an array formula, commit with Shift+Ctrl+Enter.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Jul 1, 8:30 pm, Lisa12 wrote:

Thank you all for your help, but I am not getting it. I think maybe I am
asking the wrong question, so I'll try again.

If I have column A with a number, and column B with a date, how can I use a
vlookup to find the number in B and return the information in C. I will
have to repeat this for each number in A.

So I will need to see if A1 is in B and if A2 is in B if not there is need
to return ""
Number Date Currency
A B C
2002
2005 1/1/2002 $4.00
2006 1/1/2003 $5.00
1/1/2004 $6.00
1/1/2005 $7.00
I hope this clears things up,

Please help

Lisa12

"ward376" wrote:
This does what your original post asks - returns the value from b3 if
a1 is equal to b2.

=IF(A1-(VALUE(TEXT(B2,"yyyy")))=0,B3,"They're different.")

Or you can convert the value in column a to a date and go from the

=VALUE("1/1/"&A2)

Cliff Edwards