Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
O2 andy O2 andy is offline

Default Can I Use a Count Function for Text?

Hi all,

I'm looking to do something along the same lines but using text and numbers.
The formula below is what i've come up with

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A20="reason")*(D2:D20,"<0""))

I get a value of 0 or an error returning. I'm also looking to do a range
for the numbers too, so B2 to B20 for numbers greater than 0 but less than 14
and equal to reason.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Andy

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A20={"A","B","C","D"})*(B2:B20="ps ychiatrist"))

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Nick Brunetti" wrote in message
I am trying to count a cell if criteria from two separate columns are met.

For example, my first column has the letters A, B, C, D or no letters at
all. The second column has different descriptive words (i.e. internal
medicine, psychiatrist, etc). I would like a cell to be counted if a cell
in
the first column contains an A or B or C or D AND a cell in the second
colum
contains the word "psychiatrist".

What is the best function/formula to use for this problem?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"*@*")

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Joan NYC" wrote in message
Aha... Sumproduct is not a function I ever tried

I have a column of text. Some cells contain the character "@" with a
space
preceding the rest of text in the cell. I realize the @ could be
considered
an operator so it is preceded with an apostrophe to designate text. I
want
to sum the cells that have the "@"

Thanks

"David Biddulph" wrote:

You'll need to be a bit clearer as to what you're trying to do. If
COUNTIF
or SUMIF doesn't do the job, you may want to try SUMPRODUCT.
--
David Biddulph

"Joan NYC" wrote in message
I have been trying to calculate a column of Text in order to sum
contents
by
certain criteria

I have tried Count, CoutA and CountIF and cannot be able to get
anything
work.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? :) Can this be done?

Thanks much.