Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default calculating a sum that contains a 0 or no data

Perhaps you would care to tell us why you have used SUM(X13-X14) instead of
just X13-X14, Sanjay ?
--
David Biddulph

"sanjay D." wrote in message
Dear martin,
=IF(X13="","",X13*17.5%) should be the formula for Vat cell and
=IF(X14="","",SUM(X13-X14)) should be the formula for gross cell instead
of
typing zero, always type "". Hope this will work for you.

"Martin" wrote:

I am trying to create a worksheet that calculates finances over three
columns, these columns are net, vat and gross, it is designed to enter
gross
amount and the vat and net figures are calculated accordingly, I can get
this
to run with no problems, however if the gross cell is blank the net cell
shows a value error. I am using the IF command on the vat cell to return
blank cell ok, but how do I get the net cell to return a blank cell if
either
of the other cells are blank?

formular for vat cell is =IF(X13=0,"",X13*17.5%)
X13 is the gross cell

formular for the net cell is =X13-X14
X14 is the vat cell

if there is no data in X13 the net result shows the VALUE error as the
calculation obviously contains a blank or zero.

please help