Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Incorrect INDIRECT function

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 06:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Ken wrote:

Hi Group,
Back for a simple (??) question:
I can format and color an entire row using this formula:
=INDIRECT("C"&ROW())="GMN"
however, that only works if "GMN" is all that is entered into the
cell. The "GMN" is actually followed by a string of 6-10 digits of
number, ex GMN 1234567890, and will be a different number on each
entry of GMN.....I've tried using a wildcard symbol (*) etc, but
cannot get it to work....I am currently using "Cell contains GMN" but
that just colors the cell....how would I color the whole row?? All
help greatly appreciated! Thanks to the group!
Ken

Use FIND and check for a valid return to generate your True/False test:

Something like

=isnumber(find("GMN",indirect(...
--ron