Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default Aligning lines in a chart

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Rolf Barbakken said:
"Del Cotter" wrote:
Rolf Barbakken said:
The problem seems to be aligning the different lines from these worksheets.
The groups are not on the same dates, so I have three tables that can look
like this (only first three, sorted):

You've used a Line Chart. Use an XY (Scatter) Chart instead.

I've added a XY version
Although the defect lines look fairly good, the dates are way off. Not sure
why this is.

It looks to me as if you haven't given it the dates at all. The
positions of the data points are date-formatted versions of 1, 2, 3, 4,
5 etc., which is what Excel defaults to if it hasn't got anything else
to work with.

Although an XY graph is supposed to be able to handle the word "Date"
over the date column without breaking, try taking the word out, leaving
a blank above the dates, and see if it properly picks up the X series.
Create your graph using only the first, ("fixed") series at first, then
add the other two manually using Cut and Paste Special, so that they
pick up their own X ranges instead of the first series X range.

Or use Jon Peltier's Quick XY Chart Utility to make the XY charts easily
with your chosen X and Y ranges:

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...rtUtility.html

--
Del Cotter