Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default .AddItem list and populating combobox with created list

Me is a reserved word in VBA. It refers to the thing that owns the code. In
this case, it refers to the userform that owns the code (and that combobox). I
like to qualify my objects (like ranges and comboboxes).
It doesn't hurt to qualify them and sometimes can make debugging much, much
easier.

===
This is from xl2003's VBA's help:

MatchEntry Property

Returns or sets a value indicating how a ListBox or ComboBox searches its list
as the user types.

Settings

The settings for fmMatchEntry a

fmMatchEntryFirstLetter:
Basic matching. The control searches for the next entry that starts with the
character entered. Repeatedly typing the same letter cycles through all entries
beginning with that letter.

FmMatchEntryComplete:
Extended matching. As each character is typed, the control searches for an entry
matching all characters entered (default).

FmMatchEntryNone:
No matching.

pallaver wrote:

Couple of questions though for my further understanding:

1. I noticed you had put in "Me." in front of cboDirect, yet the
program works without the "Me." Why did you put the "Me." in? Does
it help with bugs or something?
2. What does this line accomplish: " .MatchEntry =
fmMatchEntryComplete "

Thanks, Neil

Option Explicit
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Dim i As Long
Dim RowWorkMin As Long

RowWorkMin = 77

With Me.cboDirect
.RowSource = ""
.Style = fmStyleDropDownList
.MatchEntry = fmMatchEntryComplete
For i = RowWorkMin To 88
Me.cboDirect.AddItem i
Next i
End With

End Sub

If you want to allow the user to type an entry that isn't on the dropdown list,
you can change the .style to fmStyleDropDownCombo. (I'm kind of confused about
what you wanted.)

--

Dave Peterson