Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default 2007 treating Text as a Number

Hold down the Ctrl key when your click and drap, or copy then paste.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

wrote in message ...
2007 on Vista

Haven't used excel much lately, so, forgive me please, I am a bit
rusty

I've got a list of data which I will be importing into my crm software
Before I do that, I was going to label each contact (row) with where I
got the data from
In excel I simply added a column and put "V LBM 260608", into the cell
I then formatted the cell as text (normally, I'd just prefix the data
with " ' "
When I drag this down the column, excel is incrementing each item of
data by 1 , which would be ok if it was a number, but it is 'text'
How do I stop excel doing this?