Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dom Dom is offline

Default Adding numbers within cells that also contain words

Hi Rick

Thanks for that unfortunately that does not work as not all of the cells
start with the number some a
REQUIRE 200 WASTE BAGS
SUPPLY X200 BLUE WASTE BAGS
etc

I should of shown these on my first post I apologise because some of the
cells are set out completely different is there no way of creating a formula?

Thanks

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Give this array-entered** formula a try...

=SUM(IF(A1:A1000="",0,--LEFT(A1:A1000,FIND(" ",A1:A1000&" ")-1)))

Change the 3 occurrences of the range to match the range you need to cover.

** Commit this formula using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter by itself.

Rick

"Dom" wrote in message
Hi

I have an awful feeling that what I am about to ask is not possible but
please have a look.

I have a list of cells which contain:
100 X BLUE BAGS FOR DELIVERY
100 TRADE WASTE BAGS REQUIRED
200 TRADE WASTE BAGS
400 X WASTE BAGS
100 X BLUE WASTE BAGS
etc

but I only want to add the numbers together to see a total amount of bags
ordered but there are quite a few so dont really fancy going through them
all
individually to add them so I was hoping there was a simpler way.

Any suggestions would be really greatful

Thanks
Dom