Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chakey Chakey is offline

Default Validation with External Data Names

I brought a column of external data into a worksheet using Import External
Data with a New Database Query. The data came in just fine. But...

In another worksheet I would like to apply validation to a cell. I have
successfully done this with other lists of data on the same worksheets, but
when I try to enter the =NAME (Name of the External Data range given by
Excel) I get a "A named range you specified cannot be found" error. The
message only seems to happen when trying to use the name of external data.
WHy can't I use the name given to the range at import?

If I change the name, it works, but I fear that when the data is refreshed
and increases that my manual naming won't catch all of the longer list of
data - am I right?