Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove[_2_] Harlan Grove[_2_] is offline

Default External Links with the same filename?

wrote...
You should examine your definition of the word, "wrong". Cause,
stating I am "wrong", and then agreeing with, and giving more details
of one of the two points I made is more appropriately termed, "in
addition", if you ask me. But, maybe you wrote your own dictionary.

Context:

Because it is a Windows problem (unable to identify files
individually, won't use the unique path universally), not entirely
Excel. Although, Excel can't even do it properly on a Mac, which
doesn't have the Windows problem.

Wrong.

Still wrong. Let's pick this apart.

'a Windows problem (unable to identify files individually, won't use
the unique path universally)'

What do you mean by 'unique path universally'? Do you mean that a file
in the first volume of disk(0) on one machine under the path \foo
\myfile.xls and another file in the first volume of disk(0) on another
machine also under the path \foo\myfile.xls would both be accessible
as c:\foo\myfile.xls that therefore the drive/directory pathname is
ambiguous?

As for Macs, are you saying it's not possible to give the first volume
on the first fixed disk on multiple machines the same name, e.g.,
my_disk?

Sorry, but directory pathname sans drive qualifier is implied relative
to the root directory of some disk volume. Windows drive letters are
nothing more than aliases to mounted devices. If these Windows
machines are connected to networks with DHCP servers, all those C:
drives could be accessed as \\network-computer-name\volume-name
\directory\pathname\... As long as computer names aren't reused, no
ambiguity, so unique identification. Most files are accessed by drive
letter rather than \\server\share due to the convenience of the
former. But other than syntax, there's no difference between accessing
files locally through Windows using drive letters and accessing files
locally through Linux/BSD/Unix/etc using mount points.

It's Excel, both under Macs and Windows, that ignores the drive/
directory path of open files. This has NOTHING to do with the
underlying OS or file system.

But perhaps the problem here is that you're unable to express yourself
clearly in English.

As for my other point: Windows (and therefore ALL applications) cannot
recognize a file EXCEPT by its path/name. Perhaps you've never moved a
file to realize this particular issue? I would recommend you remain in
bliss and don't try it.

How would any sensibly organized file system recognize files without
using pathnames? By disk sector? By hunting through all sectors on a
disk for a particular initial sequence of bytes that serve as a file
ID? Just how slow an inefficient do you like your computing?

Do you mean that if \\a\b\c\d.xls contains a link to, say, \\foo\bar
\ugh\somefile.xls, and \\foo\bar\ugh\somefile.xls gets moved to \\now
\for\something\completely\different.xls while \\a\b\c\d.xls is closed,
you want \\a\b\c\d.xls to automatically detect this change the next
time it's opened? Ain't going to happen, and it's a very good thing
too, because if Excel and other applications didn't work this way,
it'd be next to impossible to write a lot of models that refer to data
files stored with generic pathnames, e.g., d:\data\current month
\data.xls.