Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default calculate average given minutes and seconds

Assuming your times are in A1:A4, put this in A5:

=AVERAGE(A1:A4)

If the first 4 cells are formatted as [mm]:ss, I would expect A5 to
take the same format when you enter the formula, but if not then
choose Custom in the Format cells dialogue box and set it to [mm]:ss.

You should note that if your time is 4 minutes and 30 seconds, for
example, and you enter 4:30, then Excel will take this as meaning 4
hours and 30 minutes, even though it will display as 4:30. You need to
enter the data as 0:4:30 or as 4:30.0 - this might be what caused you
the problem.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 25, 12:05*am, Cathy T <Cathy
wrote:
I'm trying to calculate the average minutes and seconds for a given task. *We
have 4 sets of minutes and seconds. *I want the minutes and seconds to
display as mm:ss but when I select this as a format it seems to round off to
nearest minute. *I want the resulting average to display as mm:ss also. *

Can someone please tell me the correct format to use in Excel 2007 to get
mm:ss and also the formula to calculate the average.