Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jennifer B[_2_] Jennifer B[_2_] is offline

Default help with lookup reference please

Hi,

I have several worksheets that I am referencing between. I have a
worksheet with a table (named TABLE1) set up like below:

"COL1" "COL2" "COL3" "COL4" "COL5"
Jan-08 <amount 1 <amount 2 <amount 3 <amount 4
Mar-08 <amount 1 <amount 2 <amount 3 <amount 4
June-08 <amount 1 <amount 2 <amount 3 <amount 4

on another worksheet, I have a cell with a date:

(A1) July-08

in another cell on the same worksheet, (C6) I want to put a formula that
a) looks through the dates in TABLE1,
b) finds the dates that are less than or equal to A1
c) chose the date that is the largest value to meet the criteria
d) returns <amount 1 from that line

I know it will have a VLOOKUP in it, but it's the criteria that I'm having
trouble defining. This is what I have so far...

=VLOOKUP(K54,TABLE1,COL2,TRUE)

but it wouldn't necessarily show the largest value to meet the criteria, and
I get a #REF output. There must be another formula to add into it to make it
work?

Thanks.