Krista F

Default Formulas not calculating

I posted this as an addition to a prev question and was hoping to get some
feedback with a more appropriate subject line...

My workbook is beginning to get screwy. I will go to enter a formula like
the one below and it won't calculate it! I've checked the following items
auto calculate is on
I have no other workbooks open to toggle it to manual
ctrl+~ doesn't do anything
ctrl+F9 minimizes the workbook
F9 doesn't do anything
under tools/options/calcs/ calc sheet and calc now don't work (Ctrl N opened
a new blank workbook).

This is a pretty complicated workbook with 8-10 pages of multiple linked
offset and vlookup formulas.... Am I overloading things?

My original post was:
I'm trying to find a formula that will give me the row header in column a if
there is an x in the column B1:B4.

A B C D E F
W1 x x x
W2 x x x
W3 x x x x
W4 x

I've tried =IF(B1:B4,"x",A1:A4) Probably not quite right...I'm trying to
find a formula that will give me the row header in column a if
there is an x in the column B1:B4.

A B C D E F
W1 x x x
W2 x x x
W3 x x x x
W4 x

I've tried =IF(B1:B4,"x",A1:A4) Probably not quite right... Any ideas?