Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default ISBLANK function not working when cell is blank dut to functio

Maybe:

=IF(A1="","SPARE","IN-USE")
or
=IF(trim(A1)="","SPARE","IN-USE")

mcmilja wrote:

Thank you Gary. I'm using the following formula
=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"SPARE","IN-USE") but if A1 contains a blank or a 0 (zero)
due to a function result, the formula above does not work. What can I use
instead of ISBLANK? I tried A1="" and A1="0" but to no avail so I must be
doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Jaret

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

You are correct. If A1 contains:
=""
then:
=ISBLANK(A1)
will return FALSE because A1 is not truely empty. So you want
=A1=""
which will return TRUE
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200793

"mcmilja" wrote:

Hello,

The ISBLANK function does not work for me when the cell it's refencing is
"blank" due to a function result. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jaret

--

Dave Peterson