Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Spiky Spiky is offline

Default Updates via several stages

On Jun 19, 2:34 pm, Scott wrote:
I have a workbook created for each of several Bureaus. I then have a
Deputate Workbook that the corresponding Bureaus roll up into. I would like
to create a Department Workbook that will pull from the Deputate Workbooks,
however when i tried a rough sample, the Department Update will only work if
you open the Deputate Workbooks and update them first. Is there a way, to
set the Department Workbook to populate with the most recent data by only
linking it to each of the Deputates, rather than the 25 individual Bureau's
for each cell?

I appreciate any assistance that can be provided.
--
Scott

Well, the Deputate files do have to be updated first, otherwise there
is nothing to update for your Department file. And the Bureau files
before that, of course. And you have to open them in Excel to do this,
AFAIK. Perhaps you want to look into a macro to open all these files,
calculate, then save and close them....to get all your updating
finished easily.

I had a system like this once, with over a dozen source files. I found
it easiest to put this macro into my final summary file. I would run
it before doing anything in the summary file to make sure it was
updated.