Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Spiky Spiky is offline

Default Auto-numbering

On Jun 19, 8:24 pm, Len wrote:
On Jun 19, 10:38 pm, Spiky wrote:

I'm still not sure exactly what you are trying to do, esp since you
change it with each post. Are you trying to number by ones from A10 to
A305? So it would be numbered from 1 through 296?

Hi Spiky,

Sorry for the confusion on the last posts and the ultimate result
should give auto-numbering for filtered rows as follows based on my
1st post above : -

Column A B
Row
2 1 AA
10 2 BB
13 3 CC
39 4 SS
116 5 SS
119 6 WW
225 7 OO
230 8 DD
305 9 CC

After several attempts to explore other excel formulas/functions on
how to solve the auto-numbering after data filtered, I begin to learn
to use "MAX" excel function and when I inset A2=1 and A10=MAX(A
$2:A2)+1 and it gives the value as 2, then copy down from A13 to A305
( ie visible cells only ) and yet it gives the result as 2 starting
from A10 to A305 . Thus, the above excel formulas is incorrect and how
to formulate it to obtain the result same as shown above table

Regards
Len

Try SUBTOTAL(3,$B$2:B2) in A2, copy down.