Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tim879 Tim879 is offline

Default Formulas are displayed in Excel instead of the data

The cells you are typing into are formatted as text. select the cells,
go to Format - Cells select General (or any non-text format)

Enter your formula and it should work.

if it doesn't, try this...
1) enter your formula
2) click on the cell containing the formula, go to format - cells -
select General (or any non-text format)
3) double click on your formula to edit it and hit enter.

On Jun 20, 8:37 am, PerryK wrote:
Occasionally when I type in a formula in Excel, instead of getting the
results, the formula just shows up instead.

As an example, if I type "=$A$2" and hit enter, instead of getting the
contents of what is in cell A2, I just see the formula "=$A$2" instead.

I do not understand what causes this to happen and have not been able to
find anything in the help files.

Thanks,
--
Perry K