Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding hours and minutes

Have you done as Bob suggested and formatted the total cell as [hh]:mm ?
If so, what formula are you using, what data values, and what value do you
see if you temporarily change the total call's format to Number rather than
your Custom [hh]:mm ?
If you are seeing zero at that stage, then it looks as if your data cells
probably contain text, rather than real times.
--
David Biddulph

"Maggie" wrote in message
Hi Bob, I too am trying to add a column of Hours and minutes (HHH:MM). The
total will be several hundred or even thousands of hours. I have tried
every
suggested found out here and the best I get is a 00:00 total. Please show
me
the formula one step at a time. Thank you in Advance... Maggie
--
Guru Wannabe

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Just format the total cell as [hh]:mm

--

HTH

RP

"Patrick" wrote in message
I want to add hours and minutes in Excel but want the result to be

displayed
as hours and minutes. not in decimal form. In other words, if I have

Excel
add 17:30 +17:30+17:30+17:30 I want the total to come out to 70:00,
representing 70 hours and 0 minutes. I am increasing time in 15 minute
increments. I run into the expected problem when I get beyond 23:45 (23

hours
and 59) minutes. Then Excel, seeing this as time (mindnight) starts
all

over
again and gives me 0:00. I do understand that Excel sees these type of
entries (17:30) as time and that is why it switches to 0:00 when it
hits
24:00. I am just trying to find a way to tell it NOT to do that and to

just
keep increasing in the 15 minute increments I need to use, changing the

total
hours by 1 whenever the minutes reach :60.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!