Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Find text, then calculate

=IF(A2="1 Gal",D2,IF(A2="5 Gal",D2/5,IF(A2="1 Qt",D2*4,"invalid input")))
--
David Biddulph

"Teatro" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has 3 sizes in a text string in cells. For
example,
A2 may have 1 Gal, A3 may have 1 Qt and A4 may have 5 Gal.

I want to create an IF statement that looks for those sizes in the Column
A,
and if it finds either 1 Qt or 5 Gal, I want it to take the quantity in
column D and divide by 5 for the 5 gal and multiply by 4 for the 1 Qt.
(I'm
trying to convert everything to gallons).

I've tried multiple formulas, but the best I can do is have it report true
or false.

TIA.