Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GoodTrouble GoodTrouble is offline

Default Need to format varying zip codes...

I have an exported Spreadsheet which contains customer information which will
in turn be used for a mail merge...

However, because there is no validation on the input field in the program
doing the exporting the Zip Codes on these addresses is not formatted
correctly. To further complicate the problem the program exports the city
state and zip all in one field.

I need a way to find the Zip Code portion of the cell and format it to only
the typical 5 digit format (Not the longer # digit format...) For example:

The data is as follows:

A2 = Business Name B2 = Customer Name C2 = Address D2 = CityStateZip

The Zips will either be something like 12345 or 123456789 and thus I need to
get the 9 character zip down to the first 5 (keep in mind it is contained
with the City and State as well in the same cell...)

Thanks so much for your help in advance!