Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marion Black[_2_] Marion Black[_2_] is offline

Default Excel: I want to assign numeric values to letters in a sperads

This doesn't seem to keep the letters displayed.
The idea is that the representative letters are displayed (E, LS etc) but
are interpreted by Excel as values, which can then be summed etc.
And pretty please can any replies be put as simply as possible, I'm not fab
with excel :(
Thanks!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

With a letter in A1:
=LOOKUP(A1,{"A","B","C"},{1,2,3})
will give the numerical equivalent.

modify to suit.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200792

"Marion Black" wrote:

Hi,
Any help would be very greatfully received!
I am trying to work on a spreadsheet for a staffing rota. Each shift type
has a letter (i.e. E or LS). I need to assign a numeric value to each letter
that represents the number of hours of that shift (i.e. E= 5.5), so that
totals can be calculated more easily...
But I'm stumped! :s