Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Area Chart with Shaded Areas Diff. Color

A column is a discrete element of a series, while the area comprises the
whole series. I suspect that's why area charts don't invert if negative. And
in fact, the capability is partially broken in 2007 column charts.

The difficulty in this problem is that the area chart goes from positive to
negative in between points. You would have to convert the plot to a date
scale representation, then work out some interpolation scheme so that the
positive and negative series meet at the proper position along the date
scale axis. I've done this, but didn't have the energy to address it for
this thread. Although is sounds like a good blog post....

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
774-275-0064
208-485-0691 fax

http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Johnny said:

I want to create a chart where the areas under the baseline are a
different
color than the areas above the baseline. Is that possible?

It's possible, but *very* tricky in the details. Jon did a similar
exercise a little while ago in his blog:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...art-challenge/

Are you sure you couldn't just use a column graph instead? Excel Column
chart type has the facility that's strangely lacking in its Area chart
type, the ability to change color when the value is negative.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to