Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Middleton Mike Middleton is offline

Default How to create a complete list of combinations from 5 options

Nevermore -

Based on your description, I think you want the "number of combinations with
repetition" (according to the wikipedia entry for "combination").

So, for n=5 and k=3, the number of combinations with repetition is
(n+k-1)!/(k!*(n-1)!) = 7!/(3!*4!) = 35.

Now you know how many combinations you need to find so that "the list is
complete."

Maybe another poster will help so that you won't need to "do it by hand."

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"Nevermore" wrote in message
I have a list of 5 possible options that I need to assemble into
combinations
of 3 (order does not matter). I want to make sure the list is complete
and
I'd rather not do it by hand. Can excel (or access) help me with this and
how?

The order of the variables doesn't matter so 121 is the same to me as 112
or
211.