Spinner

Always nice to get help... so thanks... I was getting by on 128MB RAM and
a[relatively] slow disk with the WIN 98 / Office 2000 combo. As part of the
upgrade, though I took the system up to 512MB put in a newer, faster, Disk.

Hence, I was surpised by the degradation of Excel performance. I have now
ripped out many of the new Office "super features" (voice recognition, etc)
and things have improved markedly. From this evenings tests, I am now nearly
back to the performance levels of the old setup (and of course the new office
has some nice features). I expect in the next little while to iron out all of
the performance limiters - as between Daves clues and a few other related
threads I found, I have gained a much better understanding of what limits the
new system.

I guess it is fair to say I have had several years to iron out the
performance issues witb the old setup. So I am growing "warm" again to the
new setup.

Thanks again,
Spinner

"Mike R" wrote:

Spinner

Not having looked at the other links and not seeing it stated in your
response, do you have enough RAM. windows xp is more demanding on your
resources than 98 was. If you have 256 you can "get by" but you would be
better of with 512 or more depending on other uses.

Mike R.

"Spinner" wrote:

Thank you Dave,

Prior to your response, I had done some other checking and made some changes
imrpoved (though not fully alleciated) the problems.

For reference (and in aswer to your question) the problems I am expereincing
are entirely new. I was running Win98SE & Office 2000. I have done a lot of
VBA performance optimization (aka good coding practices) and general
spreadsheet design to maximise performance. All was running real sweet untill
WinXP & Office 2003 was installed.

Following a day or so of moding my VBA code and Chart Layouts in response to
both new features and "other changes" in 2003 I went into full operational
testing - and the proverbial hit the fan. "First level" investigations
provided no clues and that was when I posted my querie (and am very thankfull
for your reply).

I went through (in some detail) the suggestions provided by the first link
in your response. Many of these I was already aware of (as I have a done a
lot of VBA coding for my Excel projects). However there were quite a few I
was not aware of and have implemented the recommended changes. Mostly these
had to do with ripping back out some of the new features of Office (installed
but not turned on). I have also Re "Saved As" all files to ensure no
lingering "Pre 2003" data.

Over the next week I will revisit some of other "less critcal items"
idenftified in your response, while doing more perfromace testing. Will keep
you posted if you wish...

Thank you again,
Spinner

"David McRitchie" wrote:

Perhaps you can find something in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm
there is nothing there specific to Excel 2003, though some of
the referenced links might relate more to 2003.

Some things to also consider. did the problem start with Excel 2003
does it get worse and worse once on 2003.

Quick things to try: clear the Internet Explorer cashe,
make sure journalling is not turned on that is if you have
Outlook installed. Make sure you are not saving files
for multiple version of Excel this would double the file size.-
---
HTH,

"Spinner" wrote in message ...
I upgraded from Office 2000 to 2003. I have [fairly] large workbooks (7-10
MB) with many embedded charts and controls (i.e. lots of shapes).

Following the upgrade, everyting to significantly slower. Of particular
concern is the rate of simply swicthing between worksheets in a workbook.
Previoulsy, I could toggle back and forth between sheets to compare charts.
The transission rate is now so slow, this is no longer a practicle option.

Any clues on how/if Excel 2003 can be tuned to run faster?