Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FiluDlidu FiluDlidu is offline

Default Create a learning tool with Excel

Hi all,

I am learning a foreign language right now and I would like to get Excel to
provide me with a word from a list, prompting me to translate it into the
target language, in order to build a solid vocabulary base into this
language. Building the list, off course, is easy enough... I'd use five
columns for that: D being the original word, E the translated word, A, B and
C a range that would define how much the word needs to be practiced... Now,
perhaps I would need to define A, B and C a tad bit mo
A1 contains the value of the word in row 1 (a whole number);
B1 contains 0;
C1=A1+B1;
A2 contain the value of the word in row 2 (and so on going down);
B2=C1 (B3=C2, B4=C3, ...);
C2=A2+B2 (and so on going down).
I hope this makes a tiny bit of sense... :-S

But now what I would like are two sets of two cells (say I3:I4 and I7:I8).
I3 and I7 would be the words to translate, I4 and I8 my inputs.

So when I translate I3 (into I4) and press Enter to confirm my translation,
I would like a code that would trigger the following:
- Check whether or not my translation is good;
- Change the values of all the words from the list based on the following
criterias:
.... if my answer was good, the value of every word (in column A) should go
up 1, except the word that was translated, which should go down 10, but no
lower than 1;
.... if my anser was wrong, the value of every word (col.A again) should stay
the same, except that of the mistranslated word, which should go up 2;
.... if I typed "..." then everything should stay the same, but "..." should
be changed with the proper translation ("..." would be a call for help, I
guess);
- Clear cell I8 (my previous answer);
- Generate a random number, multiply it by the highest number in column C
and match the value obtained in column B (i.e. match the highest value from
column A that is smaller than the calculated value);
- Fill I7 with the word contained in column C of the matched value from the
previous step;
- Make I8 the active cell.

And the same concept back to I4 cell when I confirm my new translation into
I8.

I understand this might represent a bit of work, but if some very kind soul
was to help me a bit, my reconnaissance would sure be longlasting,

Thanks for the time you took reading this message, thanks for any thought
you might put to the problem, even if fruitlessly,

Feelu