Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JR JR is offline

Default HOW TO ZERO FILL A CELL THAT CONTAINS OTHER DATA EX. 000123?

This is fine, but if I try to use a function after this like concantonate the
zero's go away. Essentialy I wan't to do the same thing as Mike B. I have a
list of numbers that are different lengths and I need them all to be front
filled w/ zeros up to nine digits. I can do this by using a custom format
for visual purposes, but I need to be able to concanonate another column into
that column and this doesn't seem to work for that.

ex. column1 coulmn2
10000 12345

use custom format gets me the following:

column1 coulmn2
10000 000012345

That is good but now I need to push column1 and column 2 together w/o
changing them. so I concantonated column1 and coulm 2 expecting to get:
10000000012345

but instead I get:
1000012345

It drops the front filled zeros. This is driving me crazy.

"Mustafa" wrote:

I hope this may help;
Just open the cell's format, choose the "Number" tab, under the category
choose "Custom", then in the "Type" box write the 15 zeros.
"Type:"
000000000000000
this will do it i hope
--
Keep the Hope

"Mike B" wrote:

I need to fill cells 15 charecters in length with zeroes, the cells have
numbers in them already, ex. 45678 needs to read 000000000045678. The numers
in the cells are not the same length, some are 4 charecters up to 7
charechters. Can this be done?