Rochelle

Default VLOOKUP: type or paste values

Hello! I have an excel sheet with a VLOOKUP function that looks like this:
=VLOOKUP(A27;'Projekt en C27materiaal prijslijst'!A:C;3;0)
and the idea is that by typing in the look-up value the following 4 columns
would be populated by data from the list. What happens is that unless the
initial code is sought, copied and pasted from the source worksheet, all I
get is #N/A. This seems to go contrary to the purpose of the VLOOKUP.
I need to be able to type in the code and not to have to search for it and
to paste it in. What am I doing wrong?
I have considered that perhaps the cell formats of the codes or the fact
that some are numbers and others are numbers and text may make a difference,
but it returns #N/A anyway. Any suggestions?