Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default adding dates with excel

That's too bad, Justin. Any chance you could tell us what "not working"
means? Do you get an error? Do you get 0? Do you get a result that doesn't
look right?

Your date format doesn't matter. What does matter is that your cells need to
contain valid Excel dates. Lots of times people have text masquerading as
dates. This causes problems because you can't do calculations on text. Try
to following:

=istext(a1)

If it returns True, then you have text, not dates, and that's your problem.

Regards,
Fred.

"Justin" wrote in message
So far none of these have worked.

"Brad" wrote:

since you are concerned about days
=b1-a1 will work

I find that datedif is more efficient when dealing with months or
years....
--
Wag more, bark less

"Justin" wrote:

I just want to be able to count days between two dates. I am using
excel 2003.

example
a1 12/5/1999 b1 03/04/2007
if i want the number of days between a1 and b1 in c1, what should the
formula read? What format should each of the cells be in?