Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Pie Charts - Scaling

As you've been reassured, there's no automatic way to do this. With a little
code you can do anything, but the question is, should you? Tufte once wrote
something like, "The only thing worse than one pie chart is several of
them."

Is the second chart supposed to be 52% larger by area, or by diameter? Human
cognition is only about 70% as good at judging areal dimensions as linear
dimensions, so whichever you choose (by area or by diameter) it will not
ever be accurately interpreted. Stacked bar or column charts are not
generally a good choice either, but I suspect if you had two stacks, using
actual revenues for each year, the relative difference in height between the
two stacks would be obvious. Worried about not being able to judge
percentages of the individual items in the stack? Well, except for 50% and
25%, you can't really judge percentages in a pie chart either, you've been
fooled into thinking that you can.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"MK" wrote in message
I have a boss that insists that it is possible to create a pie chart, and
then create another chart that is to scale of that chart. For example, I
am
attempting to create a chart about revenues. Revenue essentially increased
52% between 2007 and 2008. He wants me to create a pie chart for 2007, and
then another chart for 2008 that is exactly 52% bigger. Is this possible
do automatically? I feel like it isn't, but he is really stressing that it
has to be possible.