Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KePaHa KePaHa is offline

Default VLookup Pulling Data from one row above

In order for vlookup to function properly, your look table (A1:B3) needs to
be sorted by column A) which it is not in the sample you provided.

"ELeigh" wrote:

Hello-I am trying to use vlookup to return age, based on name. Here's what I
have:
A B
1 Jones 35
2 Smith 42
3 Charles 50

I use Vlookup (a1(from other sheet), $a$1:$bB3, 2). I can't use False
because the names are slightly different in sheets 1 and 2 (some have middle
names, nicknames, etc). The problem is that it is returning the data from one
row above instead of the correct row. i.e. if I vlookup Smith, I get the age
35.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!