Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default LOOKUP & RETURN CELL ADDRESS

When you need to learn about an Excel function that is new to you, try Excel
help.
--
David Biddulph

"YellowTump" wrote in message
Hello Roger,

Thank you for that full explanation. It's been a long time since I needed
to learn about an Excel function that was new to me (although I'm sure
there
are lots more I know nothing about, but haven't yet needed).

It's great to find such quick and authoritative help. Thanks again.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Tim

As you say the row number has no significance in this equation, as we are
using the COLUMN() calculation, but we are giving the column function a
cell
address from which to calculate the column number.
=COLUMN(B) on its own, will not work
=COLUMN(B:B) will give exactly the same result as COLUMN(B1)

=COLUMNS($A:B) will also give a result of 2, counting from the fixed $A
B, and will extend to $A:C, $A:D as we copy across to give 3, 4 etc.
note the plural in the above, as this is a count of the columns within
the
specified range.

My preference has always been to give the reference of row 1 for
whichever
column number I want the numeric value from, hence B1

=ROW(A1) will be 1, regardless of the column letter
=ROW(C13) will be 13

--
Regards
Roger Govier

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Hello Rogar,

Thanks, I thought it was something like that. I've been able to copy
it
right across as you say.

I see the significance of the 'B' (B=2), but changing the '1' in B1 to
any
other row number (e.g. 'B11') makes no difference to the result, so I
don't
understand what the '1' is for.

It's not important in the great scheme of things, but it helps to know
what
I'm doing, in case I need to do it again !

Regards,

Tim Dawson