Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default return text value found most frequently in a column

Another option, array-entered* in say, B2:
=INDEX(A2:A400,MATCH(MAX(COUNTIF(A2:A400,A2:A400)) ,COUNTIF(A2:A400,A2:A400),0))

*Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to confirm the formula

In the event of ties in the max counts, then only the 1st "max" name (the
one higher up) will be returned
--
Max
Singapore
"globetrotter" wrote:
I have a column of text with 367 entries, author's names. I have used
SUMPRODUCT to determine that there are 267 unique entries. Is there a
formula I can now use to give me the author's name that appears most
frequently? Thanks for your help.

globetrotter