Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Fine tune the counting area by setting up parameters

Ok, just change the referenced ranges to start at B3:

=COUNTIF(INDEX(B3:B100,E3):INDEX(B3:B100,F3),D3)

E3 = 1
F3 = 5

The range would be B3:B7

Adjust the end of the range as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"wilchong via OfficeKB.com" <u43231@uwe wrote in message
Dear T. Valko,
Yes, you are right, I just want to count the items in column B. However,
think if I can use the data in column A to fine tune the counting range in
column B, it will increase my productivity. For example, let say I want
count how many "2" in column B from the range 1 (A3) to 5 (A7). My ideal
solution is that just setting two parameters: 1 in E3 and 5 in F3, the
Excel
formula will know to search and count the items in column B based on
another
parameters in D3.

I tired to revise the formula =COUNTIF(INDEX(B:B,E3):INDEX(B:B,F3),D3) in
order to meet the requirement, but failed.

Many thanks for your time and effort,
Wilchong

T. Valko wrote:
You're wanting to count items in column B so what does column A have to do
with it?

Dear T. Valko,
Many thanks for your advice. I trust your suggested formula is
extremely

[quoted text clipped - 49 lines]
Many thanks,
Wilchong