Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
shamor shamor is offline

Default Countif non consecutive columns

I have done the below 2 formulas and they didn't work:

=G2(G2="Y")+K2(K2="Y")+O2(O2="Y")
=--(G2="Y")+--(K2="Y")+--(O2="Y")

Now I did this one and it worked but I have to identify the entire row and I
didn't want to have to do that in case I have to add a column that requires a
"Y" answer but does not need to get counted in that end result.......

=COUNTIF(F2:AM2, "Y")

Thanks much!

"Brad" wrote:

I tested this on my computer before posting and it provides the correct number.

Only counting the "Y" as one....

Like to figure the problem out with you. Please check to make sure that you
are adding up the correct cells. (Tracing dependents can make sure that you
are not off a row or two...) Can you post the equation that you have entered?

--
Wag more, bark less

"shamor" wrote:

This does not work it gives me a true statement and it counted a "N" as true.

What I need is for it to count or sum a total in number format of the "Y" in
the non-consecutive columns. That column could be a Y or N and I need to
count the Y in non-consecutive columns across a spreadsheet.

Thanks!

"Brad" wrote:

This is one way
=--(C2="Y")+--(E2="Y")+--(G2="Y")

added cells +--(I2="Y") as needed
--
Wag more, bark less

"shamor" wrote:

I have the following:
Attended Attended
A B C D E F
1 John Doe x Y x N ____

Column B and D with the x are if they are to attend and column C and E are
whether they attended or not and it continues for several other courses.

How do I sum or countif the nonconsecutive columns are Y? It will be column
C, E, G, I etc but the same row. I need to tally how many they actually
attended vs not attned in another column next to it.

Thank you! Hope this makes sense!