Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default CSV text data altered on file open

I was going to say that but I don't recall what it is called in Excel 2007
which
the OP uses. Also one has to make sure one changes the filetypes to *.*
or else the CSV file won't be visible

Peo Sjoblom

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
Or open it with Data/ Import External Data.
--
David Biddulph

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Change the extension to text (txt) instead and the text import wizard
will open, then you can set the
import in a particular column as text and Excel won't try to convert it
to a number.

"Mike P" wrote in message
I am opening a CSV file in which the first column is a text field. The
text
field contains a 9 digit alpha numeric characters. Excel makes the
assumption that the field is a number, which then alters the content of
the
alpha numeric text data by removing all leading zeros and if the letter
"E"
or "e" exists in the text field, Excel turns it into Scientific
notation.
After I open the file, I select the cell, then set format to text, but
it is
too late. The scientific notation is set and all leading zeros are
gone.

Is there a way to not have this happen? I am using Excel 2007

Thanks in advance for your help!