Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim Tim is offline

Default Converting comments attached to cells into data

Hi,

First change your security level-ToolsOptionsSecurityMacro
SecurityChoose the €śLow€ť option.

Then Copy this code:

Sub showcomments()
'posted by Dave Peterson 2003-05-16
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim commrange As Range
Dim cmt As Comment
Dim curwks As Worksheet
Dim newwks As Worksheet
Dim i As Long

Set curwks = ActiveSheet

On Error Resume Next
Set commrange = curwks.Cells _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeComments)
On Error GoTo 0

If commrange Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "no comments found"
Exit Sub
End If

Set newwks = Worksheets.Add

newwks.Range("A1:D1").Value = _
Array("Number", "Name", "Value", "Comment")

i = 1
For Each cmt In curwks.Comments
With newwks
i = i + 1
On Error Resume Next
.Cells(i, 1).Value = i - 1
.Cells(i, 2).Value = cmt.Parent.Name.Name
.Cells(i, 3).Value = cmt.Parent.Value
.Cells(i, 4).Value = cmt.Parent.Address
.Cells(i, 5).Value = Replace(cmt.Text, Chr(10), " ")
End With
Next cmt

newwks.Cells.WrapText = False
newwks.Columns.AutoFit

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Go to your bookAlt+F11InsertModule and Paste the copied Code.
Close the VBA EditorSelect your worksheet with the commentsAlt+F8 and
Run the macro €śshowcomments€ť.
After running the macro it will list all comments from your worksheet
regardless in which column are they on a new Worksheet. If you have comments
in more the 1 column and you insist to list only the comments from that
particular column then use the Mikes suggestion.
Hope this helps.

Tim

"glarosa" wrote:

Hi There,

I thought I'd try again to get an answer to this problem. I have a
spreadsheet set up and in one particular column, each cell has a comment
attached. Is there some way that I create a new column and copy each of those
comments into the cells so that they become part of the data in the
spreadsheet? I don't want to cut and paste each individually as there are
hundreds of cells but do them on one go. Is this possible?

Although I received suggestions from Tim and Mike, I could not get either
suggestion to work. Sorry guys. Are there any other suggestions I could try?
--
Cheers

GLR