Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hollies hollies is offline

Default What formula to use?

Many thanks Fred.

I knew there was something I was not doing but it is like learning a new
language. I am slow to start and it needs spelling out for me at the moment.

Tried it and it works a treat.

Thanks for your help.

"Fred Smith" wrote:

You need to add the ColorIndex function to your workbook. See the code at
the bottom of the web page, under "Code Sample(s)".

Regards,
Fred.

"hollies" wrote in message
Thanks Niek for your very swift answer.

Unfortunately I am quite uncertain about formulae and although I have
looked
at this page, I am still baffled.

I have put the formulae =SUMPRODUCT(--(ColorIndex(A1:A100)=3)) into a cell
but I just get the #NAME? error.

I presume I am doing something wrong but not sure what.

Sorry if I am being a little dim!

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Look he

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"hollies" wrote in message
| Hello
|
| I can't seem to find if this can actually be done but, using Excel
2003, I
| have a worksheet with several blocks containing cells numbered from 1
to 100.

| From these blocks, I want to be able to count each cell as a value of 1
if I
| change the background colour to red (or any other colour) then multiply
that
| value by a number, say 5.
|
| eg If I select the first 25 cells and fill them red, I want my "total"
Cell