Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rich D Rich D is offline

Default Look up from spreadsheet based on 6 criteria

Bernie,

I use auto filter all the time...love it. I showed it to the people at the
home office and, while impressed, they said no way could our sales people do
that. It needs to be less complicated. So, I am trying to come up with a
screen where the only cells showing on the form are the 5 or 6 criteria.
Then using that input, I want to be able to find all the records in the other
spreadsheets that fit and list them by plan number. Make sense?
--
Rich D
Armstrong Custom Homes

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Rich,

Select all the cells in your database, then choose Data / Filter....
AutoFilter.

At the top of each column will appear a small dropdown. Use those dropdowns
to either
select a specific criteria (such as style) or select Custom and use the Less
than / Less than or equal to / Greater than/ etc. options to set the
limits. Excel will hide the rows where one or more values don't meet your
criteria.

If you want to have the values entered elsewhere, you would require a macro
to apply the filters. Much better is to just get into the habit of using
the dropdowns to directly select the criteria.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Rich D" wrote in message

In Excel 2003, I have a page where my people will put in 6 criteria;
Style,
Min Sq Footage, Max Sq Footage,# Bedrooms, # Baths, Garage stalls.

I need to search thru the plans data base to list the plan numbers that
match ( or <) all 6 criteria. Can anyone please tell me how to do this?
--
Rich D
Armstrong Custom Homes