Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope Andy Pope is offline

Default Automatically format charts with range of dates

Hi Sean,

The filtering would be a manual event.
If you want to email direct an example file I will have a look.

andy @ andypope DOT info

Let me know which version of XL you are using.

Cheers
Andy

Sean Moor wrote:
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately since I dont have alot of Macro/VB
experience I am still not able to get through what I am trying to do. I just
can't figure out how to be able to have a chart existing and just be able to
enter in a set of dates and have the chart filter those dates and find the
data and boom its there instead of alays having to go in the chart and change
where the series is from the old dates to the new ones. I know quite a bti
about excel but this is far beyond my knowledge. If there is an easier or
more thorough way you know how to accomplish this I would appreciate it. I
have all my data one one spreadsheet and then my charts on another and have 4
charts I make and each chart has 3 different pieces of data. Eg One chart has
my company's cash sales/charge sales/total sales and another is our contracts
open/closed etc..

Thanks

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Details of the filtering process can be found on Debra's site
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

As long as your chart is based on the filtered data then the act of hiding
rows will remove that data from the chart.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Sean Moor" wrote in message

and by the way if you do understand kind of what i am trying to do maybe
if
you could give me step by step instructions on how to do so or a video if
you
have one

thanks

"Sean Moor" wrote:

Thanks for the reply Andy but how would that allow me to enter in a set
of
dates and have the chart automatically change the look of it and it will
now
display the new data without having to change the links inside the
chart?..

And one other thing where would I be able to enter almost like a use
entry
cell that I can type in those dates and have it interact with the chart
change via the dates I set?

Thanks

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data.
You
just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
Select chart and use Tools Options Chart Plot visible cells only.

Cheers
Andy

Sean Moor wrote:

What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data
from
another spreadsheet. They are basically week totals for my business
and make
a chart compared to say last year.

What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can
enter in
a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically
filter
the new data in and change. Instead of having to go into the chart
data and
changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be
able to
just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that
data to
reflect the new option.

Any suggestinos would be appreciated. I heard macros is a good idea
but I
have no idea how to use them