Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Comments in Charts

Hover Chart Label operates independently of any data labels. Apply the data
labels you want, using one of these add-ins if the built-in options don't
show what you want:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

Then use Tushar's utility for the labels that show when you mouse over the
points.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Fred Zack" wrote in message
AFter more digging I found that actually Jon, you did supply an answer of
sorts on Oct of 2006 : "Marie -

Excel doesn't have this capability built-in, but it is flexible enough
that
clever programmers can provide similar functionality. In this case, the
clever programmer is my colleague Tushar Mehta. On his web site
(http://tushar-mehta.com) is a utility called Chart Hover Labels, which
will
do what you need.

- Jon"

I am going to try it out and see how it works. Problem is it seems rather
"all or none". I would like to have a data label and then show more detail
on
rollover, but I think Hover Chart Label just wants to ONLY show when you
hover.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

It remains an interesting idea. I've had no further interest in it until
now.

I haven't addressed this problem yet, because it's a multiple-part
routine.
It requires chart events to detect a mouseover on the chart, it requires
parsing of the chart data to determine which cell contains the data
point's
value, and it requires reading and displaying of the comment.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Fred Zack" wrote in message
Two years ago Mike P. from KC asked:
"Is it possible to have a data cell's comment (which shows up on
mouse-over
of
the red triangle in the upper right of the cell) also show up on
mouse-over
of the data point on a chart that takes a data point or points from a
"commented on" cell(s)? If so, how can you do it? "

The only reply was from Jon Peltier: "This isn't a native Excel
capability,
but it's an interesting idea, and one that could be accomplished using
VBA."

Does anyone know if this has been done yet? If so how could I get that
macro?