Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
FloMM2 FloMM2 is offline

Default adding totals on item number match

"still_learning"
Have you tried, "SUMIF" ?

Row Column A Column B
1 Apples 10
2 Oranges 5
3 Apples 6
4 Grapes 12
5 Apples 30
6 Pears 15
7 Oranges 5
8 Pears 15
9 Oranges 5

TOTALS:
Row Collumn A Column B
14 Apples "=SUMIF(A1:B9,A14,B1:B9)"
15 Oranges "=SUMIF(A1:B9,A15,B1:B9)"
16 Grapes "=SUMIF(A1:B9,A16,B1:B9)"
17 Pears "=SUMIF(A1:B9,A17,B1:B9)"

hth

"still_learning" wrote:

Hello,

I'm sure this is simple for someone: I have a list of items with counts.
On the last row for a particular item, I want to add up the counts for each
previous matching line and create a new 'total'. Some items have only one
row, others have upto 4 with counts in each. I want one row per item with a
total count in a new column, added at the end. I've searched help and I'm a
little confused about the best way to approah this.