Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cmatera cmatera is offline

Default Can't save spreadsheets... file in use

We have a 2003 Server in a LAN environment. Some of our users are
trying to save changes to a spreadsheet using Office 2003SP3. When
the user tries to save the changes, the error msg from excel is "can't
save - file in use." Copying the folder down to the local machine and
copying it back up seems to work. However, simply working from the
server does not work.

Drives are mapped to letters i.e.: G:\ = \\servername\group\directory

and the permissions are setup correctly, in fact this hasn't been an
issue until last week.

Running Process Explorer from sysinternals on the server doesn't show
any locks or handles on the file.

Disabling our A/V scanner does not work. A reboot of the server will
fix the issue...however this is less than desirable. We're running
windows 2003R2 SP2, and our client machines are running XP Pro SP2.
Has anyone experienced this, and does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris Matera