CoRrRan

Default Array Function with VLOOKUP

I hope someone can explain or help me with an array-function. Let me
first explain the situation:

I have a table where, using VLOOKUP I want to find values for multiple
items. After I have found the values, I want to have the minimum value of
this list.

This would result in 2 tables and 1 cell with the result:

Table 1 = data table (=A1:C100)
Table 2 = items where values are to be found for (=H1:H3)
Table 3 = results of VLOOKUP (=I1:I3)
'Table 4' = cell containing function 'MIN' for table 2 (=I4)

Now I would like to have these steps in one cell. I tried using an array
function, but it does not what I want it to do.

I used the following formula in cell I4 (created the formula using
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

={MIN(VLOOKUP(H1:H3;A1:C100;3;FALSE))}

The result of this formula, unfortunately, is the value found in table 1
for the item in cell H1.

When I use this formula, but now in cells I1:I3 (selected all three
cells), and use CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, I get three cells with the CORRECT
value! (I.e. I get the minimum value of the VLOOKUP results for the items
in cells H1:H3.)

Can someone tell me, that what I try to do, i.e. create a single-cell
formula, is possible using the VLOOKUP function in combination with an
array-function? Or perhaps someone knows a method of accomplishing this,
without the use of a temporary/'in between' table.

Please: no solutions using VBA, that is too easy! ;) I want to understand
the limitations of array-functions.

TIA,
CoRrRan