JulieD

Hi Flip

glad it worked, i must admit the 'why' hadn't even crossed my mind :) i
guess it's because i seem to spend all day telling my 3yo that we can
generally answer "what" and "how" questions but most of the time we'll never
know the "why" ... :)

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Flip" <FlipatKonitechPuntnl wrote in message
Hello JulieD,
That is exactly what I mean.
Thank you for this great work of code.

In case you wonder 'what on earth is this guy doing with this'
I am trying to trace customer activity. If there is some form of activity
(sales) in a recent period, this customer is ruled out entirely from
(this)
company-action which is actually searching for customers who seem to stop
working with us.
In my example "x" is a customer, "5" is a code for a specific month, "*"
means this customer will be deleted from this (historical sales)list. You
can imagine who remain in the list...

Anyway, thanks again
Flip

JulieD schreef in berichtnieuws
Hi

do you mean that because row 4 had a 5 in column B and in column A there

was
an "x" then all other instances of "x" have to have an * too in column C.

if so, then the only way i can think to do this is by using code ... e.g.
---
Sub star()
For Each c In Range("B1:B8")
If c.Value = 5 Then
For Each cl In Range("A1:A8")
If cl.Value = c.Offset(0, -1).Value Then
cl.Offset(0, 2).Value = "*"
End If
Next
End If
Next
End Sub
---
to use this code, right mouse click on the sheet tab and choose view code

display the vbe window, choose insert / module from the menu and copy &
paste this code in there
then switch back to your workbook using alt & f11
choose tools / macro / macros
find star
and press RUN

NOTE: this code will also put the original * against the 5s for you too.

--
Cheers
JulieD
...well i'm working on it anyway
"Flip" <FlipatKonitechPuntnl wrote in message
Hi NG,
Here is a small example of a problem I cannot solve:
3 columns
a b c
x 2
y 1
z 4
x 5 *
p 1
q 6
p 5 *
r 2
I let Excel put a * in column c if a value in column b equals 5 so this
happens in c4 and c8

Now I want Excel to also put a * in c1 and c5 this is because I need

all
occurences of once they are marked (even only once).
What should I do?
Flip