Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Belinda7237 Belinda7237 is offline

Default Vlookup or match function?

thanks for your help!

"T. Valko" wrote:

Typo:

In that case, it sounds like you want to drag copy the formula down column
A.

That should be: drag copy down column B.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
In that case, it sounds like you want to drag copy the formula down column
A.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Belinda7237" wrote in message
Actually, it didnt work as i wanted - as i look at the data the reasons
dont
match. There may not be a match for every item and the data isnt
chronological. Meaning the package number that is on sheet 1 may be in
cell
A2 on sheet 1 and it may be in cell F6 on sheet 2.

"T. Valko" wrote:

sheet 2
f1 = package number
g1 = rework reason

Assuming that the above is actually a TABLE of data.

Entered on Sheet1 B1:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!F:G,2,0)

If no match is found the formula will return #N/A.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Belinda7237" wrote in message
I can't quite get this to work, hoping someone can help:

I have two worksheets and if there is a match i want it to return a
value:

sheet 1
A1 = package #
b1 = rework reason (this field is blank and is where i want the data
populated)

sheet 2
f1 = package number
g1 = rework reason

If there is a matching package number on sheet 2, then i want the
rework
reason in column G to be placed in the rework reason in sheet 1 column
B.

Any help is appreciated