Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chris Chris is offline

Default "IF" Function

Hi Bob,

try
=IF(Income-Expense=0,"",Income-Expense+Asset)

and replace the words Income etc by the relevant cells

"Boblink" wrote:

Hi, I am using Excel MSOffice Xp (2002) and would appreciate help with the
"if" function. I am trying to create a Retirement formula and running into
all sorts of errors and will try and explain the scenario.
In the most simple context, I am basically trying to create a formula that
would subtracts EXPENSES from ASSETS on annual basis and adjust ASSETS to
account for the annual expenses.
Let me give you a scenario /example, and assume that Assets are $5,000,
Income is $100 and Expenses are $200.
I am trying to create a "if" formula that would be +100 (income) less 200
(expenses) and since this would be a negative number, I would go to assets
and subtract $100 so the formula would be "if" income - expenses is positive
the OK but if income - expenses is negative, subtract that amount from assets
and reduce assets accordingly. This would be annualized so in effect it
would be current year Income less Current year Expenses if this is a positive
number, it would be added to the following years assets. If this is negative,
then it is subtracted from current year Assets and the following years assets
would be reduced by this amount. The actual spreadsheet is obviously a
little more complicated, I several sources of income and several expense
categories with Inflation Factors but am stuck creating a "IF" formula. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob